Skip to main content

3 Tips for Saying a No Confidently

Google Image


A scene from the movie 27 Dresses


For those who have watched the movie, you know why I have inserted the above pic and for those who have not...

In Short...

Well the guy, he is just a guy who work for the magazine world covering weddings and the girl, well she is the elder sis' and also a part-time bridesmaid to many brides in the city and also someone who cannot use the word NO! in her life, no matter what... The scene is somewhat like this - the girl find out that her younger sis' (Tess) is gonna get married wearing her moms' wedding dress (which the elder sis' wanted) and marrying the man (apparently, which the elder sis' wanted too) and now she also had to become her lil sis' BRIDESMAID!

Ok back to the above scene...

Jane: My lil' sis is getting married...
Kevin: Ah! Before you?
Jane: Thats not what I am upset about...
Kevin: Then what are you upset about?
Jane: You don't know Tess, she is going to want me to do everything. I am not just goin to be her maid of honor, I am going to be taking care of EVERYTHING!!!
Kevin: So why don't you say NO!
Jane: What?!!!
Kevin: Say No...
Kevin: You have said No to people before, right?
Jane: Yes ofcourse, many many times when the situation.... NEVER! NOT ONCE..
Kevin: But you want to say NO..
Jane: But I can't... its MY SISTER...
Kevin: But you can say NO because its your sister
Kevin: Ok, we are going to practice saying No..
Kevin: Alright Jane, give me 50 bucks...
Jane: No!
Kevin: Jane its 50 bucks, I'll pay you back...
Jane: No!
Kevin: (holding her hands), Jane, I need you to give me 50 bucks..
Jane: (almost convinced)... No?!!
Kevin: Well, not bad!
Kevin: Can I have your drink?
Jane: Sure
Jane: No!!!!
Kevin: You were doing so well...


Well, this post is about saying NO when you want to or need to and being okay about it. We tend to say a NO and then feel the urge to give excuses and justifications in paragraphs which is uncalled for. 

Here to the tips:

Tip No. 1: Say a No, only when you mean it

If there is something that by saying a YES would mean waste of your time, putting someone before you way too often, resulting in you being unhappy, then this is the time to bring out the NO word.

Tip No. 2: Say a No, without too many explanations

Some people say a confident NO, but then only to back it up with unnecessary jabbering of explanations and justifications. You said a NO, you meant a NO, the person/situation who received your NO, probably deserves a reason, You say the reason if you wish to and that's it! End of the chapter! You need not go on and on explaining why you said a NO or feel guilty about it.

Tips No. 3: Say a No, don't expect everyone to get it

Sometimes, the very usage of the word NO can tick people off. They don't expect you to say a NO, people try to convince you to say a YES, if you are convinced, that's ok! But if not, don't expect anyone to get it. Since you are saying a NO, many a times people do not get the reason behind it and are upset with you, depending upon who "they" are in your life, you do owe them a reason (for humanity sake) but its okay if they do not get it... you do not have to change your decision just because someone doesn't get it right away.

My take:

Say a No, sweetie, if you really mean it, its okay!!!


xoxoxo












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M.A.C Lipstick Review - M.A.C Matte Lipstick - Shade Diva

My M.A.C Lipstick in Diva When it comes to M.A.C lipsticks I can go on and on, a true lipstick lover will know that M.A.C lipstick is the queen of lipsticks because of its wide range of formulas and shades. Whenever I buy an high-end lipstick, for me the shade matters the most, I do not like buying bold shade for fear I won't use it much and it won't justify the price. I wanted a red tone matte lipstick from M.A.C but at the same time I did not want a bold red or orange red tone lipstick as it would not flatter my skin tone. I almost left the counter thinking red is out of question, matte red is totally out of question and then I happen to swatch M.A.C Diva - I always looked at M.A.C Diva as more of an autumn-wintery shade and that it would look more festive and wine shadey kinda color. My First Impression: My mind: "Oh my my, it can be red, ok get your view right - its more blue-based red on you, not redddd...marooooon, maroon is a nice shade!"  My...

Bioderma Node DS+ Shampooing Review

Bioderma! A brand every skin/hair care fancying woman greedily hoards. Well in my case I needed to pick this "heaven sent" product to heed to my never-ending, every stalking dandruff problem. I have been facing persistent dandruff right since I was a kid, but with time and changing products the flaky snow on my head just got worse. I had been using The Body Shop - Ginger Anti Dandruff shampoo, as mentioned in my earlier post here , I never swore by it that it did any good or bad to my dandruff situation, but I still continue using it every once a while and avoid using it on my scalp off-late. I was recommended this shampoo by my dermatologist as  I recently had some problem with an allergy on my lip (about that I will cover in another post - coming soon!) which was triggered by dandruff *sighs*. Ok back to Bioderma Node DS+ shampoo Claims of this product: - Reduces rapid increase of Malassezia yeast which triggers dandruff - Prevents recurre...

Minicoy Island - An Excursion!

During the summer months, beaches are one place that attracts most visitors and if it is an Island like Minicoy, nothing like it! Here are some pictures from my last trip to Lakshadweep Islands - Minicoy Island in March 2016. View at Minicoy Island beach                                                                 By the beach - Minicoy Island We visited three islands on this beautiful trip which were Kavaratti, Kalpeni and Minicoy and Minicoy Island was one of the most scenic islands. It has these beautiful pristine beaches, covered widely with white sand and beautiful corals. The island is a perfect tourist destination satisfying your desire to experience t...